Join the Library
Your library membership lets you to borrow not just books, but magazines, DVDs, music CDs & tech kits. If we don’t have what you are looking for, we can often find it for you at another BC library and have it delivered here.
You can also:
- Download ebooks, audiobooks & digital magazines
- enjoy free access to many subscription-based online resources such as newspapers, popular & academic journal articles, repair manuals, building & electrical code.
- Use your Smithers library card throughout the Northwest Library Federation (Houston, Smithers, Hazelton, Terrace, Kitimat, Prince Rupert & Stewart public libraries) and Northwest Community College.
- Use your card at most other BC libraries through the BC OneCard program (some restrictions may apply).
- Membership is available to those aged 4 and up.
- Membership is for one year & renewable.
- Please bring photo ID with your street address. If your photo ID does not have your correct street address, please also bring either a rental or purchase agreement or utility bill with the street address. (a box number is not adequate)
Membership for Smithers Residents (includes Benefiting Area residents)
- No charge
- Permanent residents of Smithers or the Benefiting (Fire Protection) Area, as well as Smithers business & property owners already pay for library membership in their property taxes or business licenses.
- The Benefiting Area includes an area approximately 8 kilometres surrounding the Town of Smithers. Ask to see our map if you are not certain whether you live in the Benefiting Area.
The non-resident fee is based on the amount that residents pay toward the library in their taxes.
- Adult – $33.00
- Senior – $20.00
- Family – $35.00
- School Aged Children – membership fee is waived
- If you have a valid library card from another library in BC, you can have borrowing privileges at Smithers Public Library through BC OneCard. You must have the card with you and may be asked for additional picture ID.
- $20.00 for 4 months. $10.00 of this is a refundable deposit.
Library card holders’ rights and responsibilities
- You are responsible for all the materials borrowed on your card and for any charges on items that are overdue, lost or damaged. (See Loan Periods and Fines for details).
- Your library card provides access to licensed databases from outside the library.
- You can also look at our catalogue from home over the Internet, and access your account to place holds, keep lists and renew items.
Lost or stolen cards
- You are responsible for any items checked out on your card so report a lost card immediately so we can block its use.
- Replacement card is $2.00
Change of address, phone or email
It is important for us to have your current information. If you change your address or other personal information, contact the library and we’ll update your record.
Accessing your account
Log into your account to place items on hold, renew items or to see what you have out & due dates.
Log in with the 14 digit account number on your card (username) & the 4 digit PIN issued with your card.
If desired, you can change the username once logged into your account. We recommend you change the 4 digit PIN to a secure password that you can remember.
Please contact us if you have any questions.