Your library membership enables you to borrow books, magazines, DVDs, music CDs, books on CD, and tech kits. If we don’t have what you are looking for, we can often find it for you at another BC library and have it delivered here.
You can also:
- Download eBooks, audiobooks & digital magazines
- Enjoy free access to many subscription-based online resources, such as popular & academic journal articles, newspapers, repair manuals, and building/electrical codes
- Use your card at most other BC libraries through the BC OneCard program (some restrictions may apply)
- Membership is available to individuals aged 4 and up
- Membership is for one year and renewable
- Please bring ID with your street address. If your ID does not have your correct street address, please also bring a rental/purchase agreement or utility bill with the street address
Membership for Smithers Residents
- There is no membership fee for permanent residents of Smithers or the Benefiting (Fire Protection) Area, as well as Smithers business/property owners (library membership is paid for through property taxes or business licenses)
- The Benefiting Area includes an area approximately 8 kilometres surrounding the Town of Smithers (ask to see our map if you are not certain whether you live in the Benefiting Area)
The non-resident fee is based on the amount that residents pay toward the library in their taxes.
- Adult – $33.00
- Senior – $20.00
- Family – $35.00
- School-aged children – membership fee is waived
- If you have a valid library card from another library in BC, you can have borrowing privileges at Smithers Public Library through BC OneCard. You must have the card with you.
- $20.00 for 4 months ($10.00 of this is a refundable deposit)
Library card holders’ rights and responsibilities
- You are responsible for returning all the materials borrowed on your card (see Loan Periods for details)
- If items are lost or significantly damaged, you are responsible for the relevant replacement/processing fees
- Your library card provides access to licensed databases from outside the library
- You can also browse our catalogue from home and access your account to place holds, keep lists, and renew items
Lost or stolen cards
- You are responsible for any items checked out on your card, so report a lost card immediately
- A replacement card is $2.00
Change of address, phone, or email
It is important for us to have your current information. If you change your address or other personal information, contact the library and we’ll update your account.
Accessing your account
- Login to your account to place holds, or renew items you have on loan
- Use the 14-digit account number on your card (username) and the 4-digit PIN issued with your card
- We recommend that you change the username and password once you access your account
- Please contact us if you have any questions