We are now offering Library Takeout @ SPL to provide physical materials to the community during this transitional time. Library Takeout is a pickup service where you can place holds or orders for library materials to be filled by staff.
HOW IT WORKS: (VIDEO: Library Takeout in Action!)
- Search our catalogue and place holds, or request a personalized grab bag.
- Wait for a notification that your item(s) are ready.
- Pick up your takeout order during our open hours, Monday through Saturday.
|I know what I’m looking for!|
|I would like suggestions for a grab bag.|
Placing holds: You will need your library account login information to place holds through our online catalogue.
Searching the catalogue: There are filters for searching available items, such as Limit to Available and Exclude Electronic Resources. If you are looking for physical items that are currently on the shelves, select both of these options.
Returning items: Our book drop is open 24/7 for your convenience. Please note that we are no longer quarantining returns. REASONING: We now know that the risk of infection by handling library materials is so low that the BC Centre for Disease Control does not recommend quarantining returns.
Need help? Contact us at 250-847-3043 during open hours.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (click for answer)
How many items can I request at once?
There is no minimum or maximum, but we reserve the right to limit the number/type of materials checked out to one person/family. To reduce the number of visits to the library, we encourage you to take out enough material to get you and your family through a couple of weeks.
What can I borrow?
You can request any items from our collection that are available for lending, including: Books (all formats); DVDs; Audiobooks (books on CD); Music CDs; Playaways; Magazines; Tech Kits
How do I place an order?
You have three options for requesting material using Library Takeout:
1. Place holds through the online catalogue and you will be notified when it is ready for pick up.
2. Order a Grab Bag! Library staff can match patrons of all ages with the right titles. Fill out the “Library Takeout Grab Bag” form and our staff will contact you when it’s ready.
3. Request items over the phone at 250-847-3043 during open hours if you need assistance.
What are your hours for the Library Takeout service?
Requests for holds and grab bags can be placed remotely at any time and picked up during our open hours.
How long can I borrow items?
Our loan periods remain the same: 3 weeks (most items); 2 weeks (Tech Kits). Most items are also eligible for 2 renewals, with some exceptions (DVDs, items on hold for other patrons). For a full list of loan periods, check this page.
How are you keeping community members and staff safe?
We have taken several steps to keep our staff and patrons safe:
- The library was thoroughly cleaned prior to the launch of takeout services
- Staff maintain proper physical distancing at all times while at work
- Personal protective equipment is available for all staff while at work
- Signage is in place to ensure that customers maintain a safe physical distance when collecting or returning items
- All high-touch surfaces throughout the library are disinfected on a daily basis
What you can do: If you are feeling unwell, or if any member of your household is sick or in isolation, we ask that you refrain from borrowing library materials. We look forward to serving you again when everyone in your household is healthy.
Can I request items from other libraries in BC?