Summer Reading Club
In 2020, Summer Reading Club moves online and into the cosmos!
Join our Facebook Group HERE for all the latest updates, facts, and fun!
How It Works
- Register online: Visit the BC SRC website and your adult can help you register. Create an avatar, set your reading goal, and earn virtual badges. Note: Please drop by the library between 12:00 and 3:00 pm (Mon-Sat) to pick up your SRC Activity Bag, which includes a reading log, collectable stickers, activity cards, a colourful bookmark, and some craft materials. Unable to register online? Go straight to step 2.
- Get your Summer Reading Club materials! Drop by the library between 12:00 and 3:00 pm (Mon-Sat) to register in person. You will receive an SRC Activity Bag, which includes a reading log, collectable stickers, activity cards, a colourful bookmark, and craft materials for the weeks ahead.
- Read and set personal reading goals! We recommend reading for at least 15 minutes a day for approximately 45 days. This summer, we are offering Library Takeout @ SPL. Place your own holds, request a “grab bag” of great books, or contact us by phone to put together your takeout order.
- Online Programs: Check (and follow) our Smithers Summer Reading Club Facebook page every week for fun activities. There will be live online programs, cool new activity videos, and self-directed at-home activities.
- Earn a Medal! Toward the end of the summer when you’ve met your reading goal, drop by the library to pick up your super reader medal! Our hours are 12:00-3:00 pm, Monday to Saturday.
What can I read?
You can read books, graphic novels, comics, magazines, and listen to storytellers or audiobooks. Download the free Libby app by OverDrive to borrow eBooks, eAudiobooks, and even electronic picture books.
What do I need?
Upon registration, you are welcome to pick up an SRC Activity Bag (packed by age group) at the library, or use your own supplies. See the links below for a list of weekly activities and related supplies:
- SRC Activities & Supplies: Ages 3-5
- SRC Activities & Supplies: Ages 6-8
- SRC Activities & Supplies: Ages 9+
Summer Reading Club Schedule*
Tween Tuesdays (9 & up)
Tuesdays: June 30th – August 11th
*Remember to follow our Smithers Summer Reading Club Facebook page for weekly activities, videos, and cool opportunities!
We gratefully acknowledge the generous financial support of the Town of Smithers, Province of British Columbia (Libraries Branch, Ministry of Education) and CUPE BC.
For the little ones…
Summer Munchkin Time (newborns – 3 years)
Mondays: July 6th – August 10th (no session August 3rd)
We gratefully acknowledge the Town of Smithers for making this program possible.