Library services during COVID-19
UPDATE: In an effort to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in our community, we have decided to suspend public access to the library building until further notice. In the meantime, we are offering Library Takeout @ SPL (see below).
Details about our current library services are outlined below. We will continue to monitor the situation and adjust these services accordingly, following the latest provincial and regional health and safety guidelines.
We are providing physical library materials to the community through Library Takeout @ SPL—a pickup service where you can place holds (including interlibrary loans) or grab bag orders to be filled by staff. For more information and FAQs, visit Library Takeout @ SPL.
Our book drop is open 24/7 for your convenience.
Library Programs and Events
While we have suspended our in-person programs and events, we are pleased to offer the following programs virtually:
- From January 25 – April 14, 2020, children’s programs for babies, toddlers, and preschoolers are offered weekly on our YouTube Channel. Keep an eye on our Events Calendar or Facebook Page for video links and periodic live storytime events!
- Book Lovers’ Night Out will continue with monthly meetings via Zoom (for the time being). Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
COMPUTER TUTORING & TECH SUPPORT
Tutoring sessions are available virtually via Zoom or by telephone on Thursdays from 2:30-4:30 and Saturdays from 11:30-2:30. Send an email to email@example.com with your question and a phone number where you can be reached during these hours. You may also call the library at 250-847-3043 to set up a virtual appointment.
WiFi continues to be available outside the library building 24/7, which you are welcome to use anytime. Connect to SPL Wireless when you are in range (there is no password). We have recently boosted our signal, so access should now extend further beyond the building. Outdoor electrical outlets are available for public use in the library courtyard.
Have a question?
Call 250-847-3043 during open hours or email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance. We can help you access the library catalogue, digital resources and eBooks and eAudiobooks, as well as connect you with community resources and services.
HEALTH & SAFETY @ YOUR LIBRARY
UPDATE: Please note the following Province-wide restrictions currently in effect until February 5, 2021 at midnight. Masks are now required for everyone in all public indoor settings and workplaces while this order is in place (some exemptions apply).
The health and safety of library staff and community members is our top priority. Please read our WorkSafe BC COVID-19 Safety Plan before visiting the library. We appreciate your cooperation to help keep our community healthy.
What we’re doing for staff and visitor safety:
- Staff wash their hands immediately upon entering the library and frequently throughout the day
- Staff must wear a mask even while working alone, since we share our work areas with others
- Maintaining physical distance (2m/6ft) between other staff members and patrons whenever possible
- Providing hand sanitizer, disposable masks, and gloves at the library entrance
- Limiting the number of people inside the library at one time (public access currently suspended)
- Enhancing cleaning procedures, including regularly sanitizing high touch areas
- Using Plexiglass barriers at service desks
What you can do:
- Disinfect or wash your hands upon entering the library (hand sanitizer and washrooms are available)
- Wear a mask, unless you are exempt for reasons listed under Ministerial Order No. M012
- Limit the time of your visit and consider sending one person per family
- Maintain physical distance (2m/6ft) between yourself and others
- Follow signage and directions from staff
- Stay home if you or any member of your household is feeling sick