Business & Careers
Our databases have lots of information from trusted sources that’s typically not available through the Internet. You’ll need your library card to log in.
|Business Source Premier – Includes more than 2,000 business journals covering topics such as marketing, management, accounting and finance, as well as information about specific trades, industries and professions.
Tutorial: Video Tutorial [4:40 minutes]
|Business Plan Handbooks – A compilation of business plans developed by small businesses throughout North America.|
|LinkedIn Learning – Choose from thousands of online courses to learn in-demand skills from real-world industry experts. >> Get started with your library card.
|Professional Development Collection – A specialized resource for teachers and educators, providing access to over 500 education journals, including more than 350 peer-reviewed titles. This database also contains educational reports.|
|Regional Business News – A collection of regional U.S. business periodicals and newswires that includes some international business news. Contains the most recent 30 days of information from each wire source.|
|Library, Information Science & Technology Abstracts with Full Text (LISTA) [EBSCO] – A specialized database for library staff covering more than 500 journals. Subject coverage includes librarianship, classification, cataloguing, collection development, online information retrieval and more.|
|UBC Small Business Accelerator – Accessing the Small Business Accelerator via UBC provides other options with a different interface. In addition, UBC provide reference services by email.|
- Business Plan Handbooks - A compilation of business plans developed by small businesses throughout North America. Access is made possible by the Small Business Accelerator at the Irving K. Barber Learning Centre at UBC with financial support from the Sutherland Foundation.
- Business & Industry - Canada - a wealth of Canadian business information including a variety of guides and information on government programs, services and regulations.
- Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada - includes a vast array of links to web-based resources (including non-governmental sites) relevant to Canadian business people and consumers.
- Small Business Accelerator - curated by the University of British Columbia, SBA features 100+ accelerator guides that teach you how to do market research using free resources, as well as guides to business planning, community networking and finding funding.
- Small Business BC - contains a variety of tools including sample business plans, federal and provincial business regulations, an interactive business planner, downloadable registration forms and much more.
- British Columbia Statistics - the central statistical agency of the Province of British Columbia. They offer data services, business and economic statistics, labour and social statistics, population stats, and survey and analysis.
- CANSIM - Statistics Canada's main socioeconomic database is updated daily and provides access to a public collection of statistical tables covering a large number of topics such as agriculture, construction and housing, demography, education, health, household expenditures, labour, transportation and more.
- DataBC - Provided by B.C. government department, this site contains thousands of data sets on a wide range of topics. Includes a geographic service to help map data, and tools to help conduct research, analyze statistics, develop apps.
- Statistics Canada - The official source for Canadian social and economic statistics and products.
- Stockhouse Canada - Get Canadian financial information including stock quotes.
Job Search and Career InformationJob Postings
|BCjobs.ca||Job listings for B.C. and Alberta.|
|Civic Jobs||Canadian municipal job postings.|
|Indeed.ca||Canadian job search engine|
|Job Bank||Listing of jobs, work or business opportunities in Human Resource Centres of Canada by employers around the country.|
|JobHero||A job search engine that, for each job title, includes the top ten samples from the work experience section of resumes. Offers advice on cover letters and resumes.|
|Jobs.ca||Job search for Canada|
|Neuvoo||Job search engine, listing almost 300,000 jobs in Canada.|
|WorkBC||Search for a job or learn about hundreds of different types of careers. Includes information about job responsibilities, working conditions, employment prospects, industry profiles and earnings statistics.|
|Workopolis||"Canada's largest and most popular online job site". Tips on resumes and more included.|
|AllStarJobs.ca||Links and information on job search, career information, resume writing, student resources.|
|Glassdoor||Company reviews, salary reports, interview reviews and questions and more.|
|GotResumeBuilder.com||Resume writing tips and samples.|
|Industry Training Authority||Information about trades and apprenticeships in B.C., including schools and courses, financial assistance and accreditation requirements.|
|Canva Resume Builder||A free online resume builder from Canva. Plenty of modern, eye-catching templates to choose from.|
|Skilled Immigrant InfoCentre||New to Canada? Find out how to get accredited in your field. Check out the Employment Guides for detailed information by occupation.|