Code of Conduct
FULL PATRON CODE OF CONDUCT
updated June 15, 2016
Please ensure your library remains a safe, welcoming place for everyone by respecting our Code of Conduct:
- Library patrons, staff and volunteers will treat each other in a courteous and respectful manner. Harassment, intimidation, and insulting language or behaviour of any kind will not be tolerated.
- Intoxication, consumption, sale, and possession of liquor or illegal drugs will not be tolerated and may result in removal from library premises.
- Please keep noise (conversation, electronic devices, phone calls, listening to music etc.) to a level that will not disturb other library users.
- Smoking is not allowed inside the library. Please respect the 3-metre smoke-free areas around doors and windows (includes e-cigarettes and similar products).
- Patrons are encouraged to keep the library a fragrance-free zone.
- Animals, with the exception of service animals, must remain secured outside the library.
- Children’s behaviour should not detract from others’ enjoyment of the library (noise) or create a safety hazard (running). The library does not assume responsibility for unattended children, and reserves the right to request that children be accompanied by an adult.
- Please help us to maintain an uncluttered library space in case of emergency, and for the safety of all patrons and staff. Please do not block entryways or fire exits.
- Soliciting, canvassing, begging, or distributing materials is not permitted. Promotional materials for local non-profit events or educational opportunities may be left with staff to consider posting on the library’s bulletin board.
- Respect the privacy of library users and staff. Taking photographs, filming or recording on library premises requires the prior approval of the Library Director or designate.
Noncompliance with the Code of Conduct may result in individuals being required to leave the library premises, or in arrest and prosecution.