Join the Library
Library membership entitles you to borrow books, DVDs, music CDs and other items from the library as well as place holds on items from many other BC Libaries.
You can also:
- Download ebooks, audiobooks & digital magazines
- Access many subscription based online resources such as newspapers, popular and academic journals, repair manuals, building & electrical code and others.
- Use your card throughout the Northwest Library Federation (Houston, Smithers, Hazelton, Terrace, Kitimat, Prince Rupert & Stewart public libraries) and Northwest Community College.
- Use your card at most other BC libraries through the BC OneCard program (some restrictions may apply).
- Membership is available to those aged 4 and up.
- Membership is for one year and renewable.
- Please bring photo ID with your street address.
- No charge
- Permanent residents of Smithers or the Benefiting (Fire Protection) Area, as well as Smithers business & property owners pay for library membership in their property taxes or business licenses.
- The Benefiting Area includes an area approximately 8 kilometres surrounding the Town of Smithers.
Non Resident Membership
- Adult – $33.00
- Senior – $20.00
- Family – $35.00
- School Aged Children – no charge
- If you have a valid library card from another library in BC, you can have borrowing privileges at Smithers Public Library through BC OneCard.
- $20.00 for 4 months. $10.00 of that is a refundable deposit.
Library card holders’ rights and responsibilities
- You are responsible for all the materials borrowed on your card and for any charges on items that are overdue, lost or damaged. (See Loan Periods and Fines for details).
- Your library card provides access to licensed databases from outside the library.
- You can also look at our catalogue from home over the Internet, and access your account to place holds, keep lists and renew items.
Lost or stolen cards
- You are responsible for any items checked out on your card so report a lost card immediately so we can block its use.
- Replacement card is $2.00
Membership Form HERE
Change of address or password
It is important for us to have your current information. If you change your address or other personal information, contact the library and we’ll update your record.
To change your PIN, log in to your account, click on the “Account Preferences” tab, and change your password. We do not recommend that patrons use a 4 digit number as their password. 4 digit numbers should only be used for temporary passwords and should be changed to something more secure after the account is created.